Correcting errors in a previous tax year

Everyone makes mistakes from time to time. If the mistake’s in a previous tax year, don’t worry you can easily fix it.

How do I make a correction?

To fix a mistake, you first need to go back to the tax week or month when the mistake happened. To do this, you can use the Restore option if it happened to a few people. To find out how to restore in Sage 50 Payroll, read the guide. If you’re using Sage Instant Payroll, check our quick guide.

If it only affects one person, you can use the Rollback option. When you restore or rollback, you can then fix the error, you then need to process your employee’s wages again back up to date.

To help you with this, take a look at our reprocessing checklists:

I’ve made the correction, how do I let HMRC know?

Normally, you submit a full payment submission (FPS) adjustment to let HMRC know of any changes to your liabilities. As the submission deadline of the 19 April 2018, for the 2017/2018 tax year has passed, you need to submit an earlier year update (EYU) to let them know.

Use the following guides to help you submit the EYU: